THE TEXAS MUNICIPAL HUMAN RESOURCES ASSOCIATION IS ORGANIZED TO PROMOTE, ENCOURAGE, AND ADVANCE THE DEVELOPMENT OF PERSONNEL AND HUMAN RESOURCES ADMINISTRATION IN TEXAS MUNICIPALITIES.
TO FURTHER THESE OBJECTIVES, ALL MUNICIPAL HUMAN RESOURCES PROFESSIONALS SHALL ADHERE TO LEGAL AND MORAL STANDARDS OF CONDUCT IN THE FULFILLMENT OF THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES. STANDARDS OF CONDUCT AS SET FORTH IN THIS CODE ARE ESTABLISHED IN ORDER TO ENHANCE THE PERFORMANCE OF ALL PROFESSIONALS ENGAGED IN MUNICIPAL HUMAN RESOURCES.
Updated 08 September 2008
I | PERSONAL STANDARDS
Municipal human resources professionals shall demonstrate and be dedicated to the highest ideals of honor and integrity in all public and personal relationships in order to merit the respect, trust, and confidence of governing officials, other public officials, employees, and the public.
- They shall devote their time, skills, and energies to their office both independently and in cooperation with other professionals.
- They shall abide by approved professional practices and recommended standards. They shall not engage in any matters that would bring discredit upon public service.
- They shall act with honor, integrity, and virtue in all professional relationships.
- They shall refrain from knowingly being a party to or condoning any illegal or improper activity.
II | RESPONSIBILITY AS PUBLIC OFFICIALS
Municipal human resources professionals shall recognize and be accountable for their responsibilities as officials in the public sector.
- They shall be sensitive and responsive to the rights of the public and its changing needs.
- They shall strive to provide the highest quality of performance and counsel.
- They shall exercise prudence and integrity in the management of finances and people entrusted to them.
- They shall uphold both the letter and the spirit of the constitution, legislation, and regulations governing their actions and report violations of the law to the appropriate authorities.
III | CONFLICT OF INTEREST
Municipal human resources officers shall actively avoid the appearance or the fact of conflicting interest.
- They shall discharge their duties without favor and shall refrain from engaging in any interest, direct or indirect, or engage in any business transaction or professional activity, or incur any obligation of any nature, that is in conflict with the impartial and objective performance of their duties.
- They shall not, directly or indirectly, seek or accept personal gain that would influence, or appear to influence, the conduct of their official duties.
- They shall not use public property or resources for personal or political gains.
IV | PROFSSIONAL INTEGRITY – INFORMATION
Municipal human resources professionals shall demonstrate professional integrity in the issuance and management of information.
- They shall represent or report information in an impartial manner.
- They shall respect and protect privileged information to which they have access by virtue of their position.
- They shall be sensitive and responsive to inquires from the public and the media, within the framework of state or local government policy.
V | PROFESSIONAL INTEGRITY – FAIRNESS, JUSTICE, AND INTEGRITY
Municipal human resources professionals must act in the interests of the human resources profession to promote and foster fairness, justice, and integrity.
- They shall exhibit loyalty to and trust in the affairs and interests of the government they serve, within the confines of this Code of Ethics.
- They shall respect the rights, responsibilities, and integrity of their colleagues and other public officials with whom they work and associate.
- They shall manage all matters of personnel within the scope of their authority, so that fairness and impartiality govern their decisions.
- They shall promote equal employment opportunities, and in doing so, oppose any discrimination, harassment, or other unfair practices.
- They shall develop, administer, and advocate policies and procedures that foster fair, consistent, and equitable treatment for all.
- They shall support ethical and legal decisions made by appropriate entities, regardless of personal agreement. They shall respect the dignity, uniqueness, and intrinsic worth of people.
- They shall treat people with dignity, respect, and compassion, to foster a trusting work environment free of harassment, intimidation, and unlawful discrimination.
VI | PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Municipal human resources professionals shall be responsible for maintaining their own competence, for enhancing the competence of their colleagues, and for providing encouragement to those seeking to enter the field of municipal human resources. Human resources professionals shall promote excellence in public service.
- They shall encourage, value, and work to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to succeed and develop to maximize their contributions to the benefit of all.
- They shall work to ensure diversity and inclusiveness to benefit all aspects of the organization, involving every segment in every aspect of activity.