2019 TMHRA Annual Professional Awards
On May 16 at The Horseshoe Bay Resort and Spa in Horseshoe Bay, TMHRA held its 10th annual awards luncheon which recognizes individuals as well as organizations who make a significant impact on our profession.
This year, in addition to the four award categories below, the TMHRA Board nominated and approved a member of TMHRA to receive the Charlie B. Shapard Lifetime Achievement Award:
- Charlie B. Shapard Lifetime Achievement Award
- TMHRA board members nominate and select an individual who exemplifies and has significantly contributed to the municipal Human Resources profession throughout their extensive career. The Award is named in honor of Charlie B. Shapard who is the embodiment of a successful municipal Human Resources professional giving of himself to support and grow others.
- Rising Star (Individual Award)
- Recognizes a new member who shows exceptional promise of leadership and contribution to the association and profession. Recipients should be in the first five years of their career in public sector human resources management and can include those who have moved into public service mid-career.
- Human Resources Management Professional of the Year (Individual Award)
- Recognizes the human resources professional who has made significant contributions to the field of municipal human resources management in the past 18 months.
- Innovation in Municipal Human Resources Management (Organization Award)
- Recognizes the local government that has developed innovative programs and services to solve municipal human resources management problems and create opportunities for its community to reach its full potential. This award is aimed at programs that have been created or modified in the past 18 months.
- HR Strategic Department of the Year (Organization Award)
- The HR Strategic Department of the Year award is a new award category that recognizes the outstanding contributions that an HR team has made in the past 18 months to their City and the employees they serve. The Strategic HR Department of the Year award acknowledges the efforts made to enhance and further the mission, vision and values of the organization and it’s culture while aligning strategic HR practices and programs.
Charlie B. Shapard Lifetime Achievement Award – Bonita Hall (City of Celina)
Rising Star Award – Robert Cascante-Diaz (City of Irving)
Human Resources Management Professional of the Year – Jill McAdams (City of Irving)
Innovation in Municipal Human Resources Management – City of Austin
HR Strategic Department of the Year – City of Carrollton
- Rising Star
- Amanda Kellam – City of Plano
- Daniel Pennington – City of Pasedena
- Janice Babcock – City of Irving
- Robert Cascante-Diaz – City of Irving (recipient)
- Trelena Collins – City of Jersey Village
- Wendy Saldana – City of South Padre Island
- Human Resources Management Professional of the Year
- Carmen Williams – City of Webster
- Debra Powledge – City of Cleburne
- Estella Munoz – City of Pecos City
- Jill McAdams – City of Irving (recipient)
- Jim Powell – City of Texarkana
- Kim Kaiser – City of Sealy
- Lilly Clarke – City of Garland
- Stacey Black – City of Southlake
- Innovation in Municipal Human Resources Management
- City of Austin – Second Chance Hiring Career Fair (recipient)
- City of Austin – Sick Leave for Temp Employees
- City of Huntsville – On-site Clinic Innovation
- City of Pflugerville and Travis County ESD#2 – Employment Coalition
- City of Southlake – Making Better Best through Employee Engagement
- City of Lancaster – New Hire On-boarding Innovation
- HR Strategic Department of the Year
- City of Carrollton – Strategic Partnership for Employee Health and Wellness Center (recipient)
- City of Southlake – HR Strategy Map
A special thank you to those TMHRA members below who agreed to volunteer their time by serving as a member of the Annual Awards Committee.
- Amanda Kellam – City of Plano
- Elizabeth Taplin – City of Pflugerville
- Jeriana Staton – City of Sanger
- Lashon Gros – City of Killeen
- Lynn Fagerstrom – City of Wylie
Congratulations to all of this year’s award nominees and recipients!