2018 TMHRA Annual Professional Awards
On May 3 at The Westin Riverwalk in San Antonio, TMHRA held its annual awards luncheon which recognizes individuals as well as organizations who make a significant impact on our profession.
This year there were awards given based on nominations of individuals/organizations representing the following four categories:
- Rising Star (Individual Award)
- Recognizes a new member who shows exceptional promise of leadership and contribution to the association and profession. Recipients should be in the first five years of their career in public sector human resources management and can include those who have moved into public service mid-career.
- Human Resources Management Professional of the Year (Individual Award)
- Recognizes the human resources professional who has made significant contributions to the field of municipal human resources management in the past 18 months.
- Innovation in Municipal Human Resources Management (Organization Award)
- Recognizes the local government that has developed innovative programs and services to solve municipal human resources management problems and create opportunities for its community to reach its full potential. This award is aimed at programs that have been created or modified in the past 18 months.
- HR Strategic Department of the Year (Organization Award)
- The HR Strategic Department of the Year award is a new award category that recognizes the outstanding contributions that an HR team has made in the past 18 months to their City and the employees they serve. The Strategic HR Department of the Year award acknowledges the efforts made to enhance and further the mission, vision and values of the organization and it’s culture while aligning strategic HR practices and programs.
Rising Star Award – Jeriana Staton (City of Sanger)
Human Resources Management Professional of the Year – Shante Akafia (City of Plano)
Innovation in Municipal Human Resources Management – City of Wylie
HR Strategic Department of the Year – City of Plano
- Rising Star
- Angel Alvarado – City of Marble Falls
- Chelsea Curran – City of Richardson
- Jeriana Staton – City of Sanger
- Judy Garza – City of Fate
- Luis Carmona – Travis County Emergency Services No. 2
- Vicki Briggs – City of Horseshoe Bay
- Human Resources Management Professional of the Year
- Cindy Brown – City of Seagoville
- Kari Jo Zika – City of Arlington
- Kent Etienne – City of Galveston
- Shante Akafia – City of Plano
- Susan Nienstedt – City of Brenham
- Innovation in Municipal Human Resources Management
- City of Georgetown
- City of Irving
- City of Wylie
- HR Strategic Department of the Year
- City of Grand Prairie
- City of Lancaster
- City of Plano
Congratulations to all of this year’s award nominees and recipients!